...reach out...
The memories I cherish of celebrating birthdays and Hari Raya as a child have nothing
to do with dressing up like a princess or eating homemade icing cakes or enjoying array of different menus on the specially laid tables.
The moment I loved most was watching my parents and grandparents dole out ringgit bills to
anyone who asked for help. Amidst the drinking, eating, singing, donning elaborate costumes of some of my neighbours' children
and a recounting of the traditional story, lies a lesson of giving that
opens me up to the needs of people that i would never otherwise know. On these special days too, no matter the person, no matter the race, gender, or ethnicity, if someone extends her hand to ask for alms,
we must give what we can.This was my parents ( take up our ancestors') advice.
I am enjoined to remember that while we celebrate,
millions of people in the world lack something so basic as water, food,
and medicine. On these days we do not walk past a homeless person, or
sneer at someone begging on the subway. Today we give and give and give
'til we empty our pockets. I learned this lesson firsthand from my parents. If on every other day poor people knocked on our door in ***,
these special days, my parents left it open, welcoming everyone inside. They sat
down, listened to their stories, providing both the solace of an attentive
ear and concrete benefits of any money they could scrounge together.
From my parents I learned about the more intangible side of this giving
decree. Many commentators explain that besides the commandment to
provide money to all those who ask, we also must provide emotional
charity. If my parents couldn't give money, they gave their heart, their smile, and their love to everyone who came their way. Built into this act of charity is the emotional statement that "I care
about you". " I care about your welfare." It provides hope as much as it
provides money or food. Only a desperate person, one who has nearly given up, begs. That
person puts his pride to the side and reluctantly puts out his hand for a
sign of help.
On a day when all the people of the world faced a dire situation, the
genocide of its people, i saw redemption at the very last moment.
This is the moment of salvation i keep warm, generation after
generation, and the one we also share with all of those who are
suffering in this world. From that day onwards i learn that it is exactly in such moments of
overwhelming joy that we must take a break from regaling, open our doors
and invite in those who have to nowhere to go to believe that there is
reason hope...
p/s Silly little
lefty liberal that I am, I was a little on the concerned side for those
folks being made homeless, and I repeat HOMELESS. I feel nauseous
watching the images on the news of children and youths stealing and
terrorising with smiles on their faces, destroying their communities
without a respect for livelihoods or, more profoundly, life. Is making
them homeless going to help? Will this mend one's broken society having
more people on the streets? Nevertheless, we only passed through this world, but only once...so lets make our life worth living for...in the name of brotherhood and humanity. Never ever have a slight thought of rioting...

No comments:
Post a Comment