A little something to ponder...
the poor vs the photographers = Intentions
There are so
many topics that are touchy and difficult to write about. I usually avoid
speaking/writing with force about them in order to dodge any conflict that may
arise as a result. I hate internet word wars, but more than that I
hate when people misunderstand and jump to conclusions. Discussion is
great, but it seems that things tend to deteriorate quickly.
The fights people have on line would never happen if they were standing face to face because we're all way more polite, gracious, and non-confrontational in real life. In face to face interaction it rarely happens that if you disagree with someone you jump them with the boldness that happens on line.
Lately I find myself frustrated with some of the problems we create when we come to "help the poor". I dislike a lot of what happens between the poor and the people that come to help. I get squirmy and uncomfortable with the 'great white hope' attitude and the Santa Claus stuff that goes on. I don't think there is anything wrong with examining our own motives and asking hard questions about the things we do. I don't have a problem confessing that we've made some jacked up decisions in our time here and that at all costs we'd like to avoid doing dumb and disrespectful things.
I'm struggling a bit with what I perceive as exploitation of people, specifically poor people. I recognize in some of the things we've have done, perhaps, a bit of an air of superiority over the poor. I also feel a resentment growing toward others who don't seem to consider the feelings and position of those they come to "help" - nor do they ever allow their approach to be questioned without great offense. Truthfully, I desire to be far more gracious toward the people doing these things and I don't want to resent anyone.
No matter what you've done in the past when on a short or longer term trip abroad - try to be open to this question. I ask that you honestly (without defensiveness) consider this and how you would react to it
Well, I think they'd need to ask for permission first and a good reason. If they wanted a picture of clothing I'm wearing, a purse I'm carrying, shoes, etc (LOL ;-D) so they can go home and find the same, then its okay. If they have a valid reason maybe. I'm not a mom yet, but I'm pretty sure I won't ever be okay with someone just randomly taking pictures of my children, for any reason. I definitely wouldn't want to if I wasn't asked though or if it was someone I didn't know at all.
Anyway, I frequently get people in my photographs that I don't necessarily mean to, but they are there when I snap the pic. But deliberately focusing? I would not really like that. However, what are they planning on doing with it? I would not like to be used in a media sense. Absolutely NOT, my children are not exhibits and I would not hesitate one bit to let whoever know that taking their pictures without consent is not appreciated. If you have the responsibility of having a camera and want to take shots, you NEED to approach and ask, can I take a picture of your child on the swing for an article. OR for a art show. Otherwise NO!!
We have the cell phone picture taking issue too. Way too much of a security risk in the country we live in nowadays. Maybe more of us should think about it before we take pictures of others??? There are most certainly times where photos tell a story. Obviously within relationships and with permission it is a entirely different ballgame.
I only know that I am terribly uncomfortable with a lot of what happens here and embarrassed that visitors often disrespect the Malaysian villagers/ kampung people. There seems to be a real attitude of entitlement. Almost as if it is the right of the visitors to do whatever they want to/with the poor without regard for how it might make them feel.
Likewise, we are VISITORS and everything we do says something about our respect for (or lack thereof) the places or country and people we are visiting. I'm thinking if we all stopped for a moment and thought of how ridiculous this is and put ourselves in their shoes we might find a way to be more respectful. Just because we come to "help" doesn't give us a ticket to do whatever we please.
p/s....had been here to see the aftermath.... May Allah The Almighty and The Merciful bless the tsunami victims in Langkawi...
The fights people have on line would never happen if they were standing face to face because we're all way more polite, gracious, and non-confrontational in real life. In face to face interaction it rarely happens that if you disagree with someone you jump them with the boldness that happens on line.
Lately I find myself frustrated with some of the problems we create when we come to "help the poor". I dislike a lot of what happens between the poor and the people that come to help. I get squirmy and uncomfortable with the 'great white hope' attitude and the Santa Claus stuff that goes on. I don't think there is anything wrong with examining our own motives and asking hard questions about the things we do. I don't have a problem confessing that we've made some jacked up decisions in our time here and that at all costs we'd like to avoid doing dumb and disrespectful things.
I'm struggling a bit with what I perceive as exploitation of people, specifically poor people. I recognize in some of the things we've have done, perhaps, a bit of an air of superiority over the poor. I also feel a resentment growing toward others who don't seem to consider the feelings and position of those they come to "help" - nor do they ever allow their approach to be questioned without great offense. Truthfully, I desire to be far more gracious toward the people doing these things and I don't want to resent anyone.
No matter what you've done in the past when on a short or longer term trip abroad - try to be open to this question. I ask that you honestly (without defensiveness) consider this and how you would react to it
You are with a friend of yours and a
couple of your children (or if you don't have children you are watching someone's children)
and you've gone to run a few errands one morning. At Target you notice a
woman taking photos of the children from about 15 metres away. Later, you've
stopped at the grocery store and you turn around to see five or six people
taking photos of your children and the other children. That afternoon as you return
home you look down your driveway to see someone else standing there taking a
photo of your house. You go to bed, the next morning you walk out of your
house looking ragged in sweats and an old shirt. As you are walking, a truck
full of people you've never seen before ride by and they all start snapping
your photo. Would you be okay with strangers
taking your pictures (or of your children or family) while you were out and
about doing life?
My verdict:
Well, I think they'd need to ask for permission first and a good reason. If they wanted a picture of clothing I'm wearing, a purse I'm carrying, shoes, etc (LOL ;-D) so they can go home and find the same, then its okay. If they have a valid reason maybe. I'm not a mom yet, but I'm pretty sure I won't ever be okay with someone just randomly taking pictures of my children, for any reason. I definitely wouldn't want to if I wasn't asked though or if it was someone I didn't know at all.
Anyway, I frequently get people in my photographs that I don't necessarily mean to, but they are there when I snap the pic. But deliberately focusing? I would not really like that. However, what are they planning on doing with it? I would not like to be used in a media sense. Absolutely NOT, my children are not exhibits and I would not hesitate one bit to let whoever know that taking their pictures without consent is not appreciated. If you have the responsibility of having a camera and want to take shots, you NEED to approach and ask, can I take a picture of your child on the swing for an article. OR for a art show. Otherwise NO!!
We have the cell phone picture taking issue too. Way too much of a security risk in the country we live in nowadays. Maybe more of us should think about it before we take pictures of others??? There are most certainly times where photos tell a story. Obviously within relationships and with permission it is a entirely different ballgame.
I only know that I am terribly uncomfortable with a lot of what happens here and embarrassed that visitors often disrespect the Malaysian villagers/ kampung people. There seems to be a real attitude of entitlement. Almost as if it is the right of the visitors to do whatever they want to/with the poor without regard for how it might make them feel.
Likewise, we are VISITORS and everything we do says something about our respect for (or lack thereof) the places or country and people we are visiting. I'm thinking if we all stopped for a moment and thought of how ridiculous this is and put ourselves in their shoes we might find a way to be more respectful. Just because we come to "help" doesn't give us a ticket to do whatever we please.
p/s....had been here to see the aftermath.... May Allah The Almighty and The Merciful bless the tsunami victims in Langkawi...

No comments:
Post a Comment