![]() |
“…If you control the oil you control the country; if you control food, you control the population…”
Henry Kissinger
|
This is most
commonly used to refer to crop plants created for human or animal
consumption using the latest molecular biology techniques. These plants
have been modified in the laboratory to enhance desired traits such as
increased resistance to herbicides or improved nutritional content. The
enhancement of desired traits has traditionally been undertaken through
breeding, but conventional plant breeding methods can be very time
consuming and are often not very accurate. Genetic engineering, on the other hand, can
create plants with the exact desired trait very rapidly and with great
accuracy. For example, plant geneticists can isolate a gene responsible for drought tolerance and
insert that gene into a different plant. The new genetically-modified
plant will gain drought tolerance as well. Not only can genes be
transferred from one plant to another, but genes from non-plant organisms
also can be used. Genetically-modified foods have the potential to solve many of the
world's hunger and malnutrition problems, and to help protect and
preserve the environment by increasing yield and reducing reliance upon
chemical pesticides and herbicides. Yet there are many challenges ahead
for governments, especially in the areas of safety testing, regulation,
international policy and food labeling. Many people feel that genetic
engineering is the inevitable wave of the future and that we cannot
afford to ignore a technology that has such enormous potential benefits.
However, we must proceed with caution to avoid causing unintended harm
to human health and the environment as a result of our enthusiasm for
this powerful technology.
(Source: New Scientist)
After reading a health mag this morning, I am now
even more concerned about what the Genetically Modified Organisms in our
Malaysian food supply could be doing, not only to our physical health
but our mental health as well. In the article titled, "The Hidden Epidermic Destroying Your Gut Flora" (in layman's terms, healthy gut bacteria which we all need to properly
digest our food), Dr. Don Hubert discusses his scientific research on
GMO's. Besides the fact that GMO's have spawned many new herbicide
resistant weeds, these genetically engineered foods may also do the
following: immobilize specific nutrients so the human body can't absorb
them (like zinc or iron), makes the plants not be able to absorb the
nutrients, reduces the soil's ability to retain nutrients, and may even
be related to the increase in botulism deaths of dairy cows (because
they do not have enough healthy gut bacteria to combat the botulism
bacteria in their guts).
These conditions have obvious effects on physical health--reduced
immunity and not allowing our body to acquire the nutrients it needs to
maintain strength. However, when we couple that with less healthy gut
bacteria and less nutrients to sustain life, anyone with such an
imbalance is going to be more susceptible to mental health issues!
GMO
adalah merupakan suatu proses yang melibatkan kejuruteraan genetik atau
pun bioteknologi dimana sifat-sifat dari suatu makhluk hidup diubah
dengan cara memindahkan gen-gen dari satu spesis makhluk hidup ke spesis
yang lain, ataupun mengubah gen-gen dalam satu spesis. Organisma
yang diubahsuai genetik ini mungkin terdiri daripada mikroorganisma
yang telah dicipta untuk digunakan sebagai bio-racun makhluk perosak
atau biji benih yang diubahsuai secara genetik bagi menghasilkan
tanam-tanaman yang kebal penyakit dan membesar dengan lebih baik.
Pada hari ini, teknologi biotech berkembang pesat di Malaysia dan rakyat
diperdayakan sebagai sesuatu yang baik kepada diri dan kesihatan. Namun hakikat sebenarnya ialah ianya bukan untuk kebaikan diri, tetapi sistem
kapitalisma yang bertujuan memperdaya dan mengaut keuntungan maksimum
daripada kita semua. Harapan kita agar makanan dan produk seperti ini dapat dilabelkan dengan tanda “GMO” atau “Genetically Engineered Food”
supaya terdapat perbezaan dan pengguna boleh membuat pilihan bijak,
iaitu melindungi kesihatan diri & keluarga.
p/s My name is "sakuradesa", and I've got important messages for you personally !
* I want to buy natural foods in the supermarket without the additives.
* I want to use natural medicines that support my body instead of fighting a ‘disease’.
* I want to live in a world with peace and harmony, where freedom, transparency and respect prevails
* I want to live in a world with respect for nature, clean air and no Haarp and Chemtrails.
* I want to live in a world where the media shines a light on the news from both sides.
* I want to live in a world with honest rewards and where money has value.
* I want to live in a world where government and democracy are one.
* I want to live in a world with peace and harmony, where freedom, transparency and respect prevails
* I want to live in a world with respect for nature, clean air and no Haarp and Chemtrails.
* I want to live in a world where the media shines a light on the news from both sides.
* I want to live in a world with honest rewards and where money has value.
* I want to live in a world where government and democracy are one.
* I want to live in a world ........... (fill in the blanks)
* I want to do things about it.
... because your and my future are at stake.
We need to make the world a better place!
"In times of universal deceit,
telling the truth will be a revolutionary act."
... George Orwell ...

No comments:
Post a Comment